Career Opportunity at COSTI
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles
- Conducts housing search in and outside of Toronto for individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
- If needed escorts clients to housing appointments and advocates on their behalf.
- Secures appropriate and affordable housing for clients within a prescribed timeframe.
- Provides support to clients in negotiating and finalizing housing leases.
- Recruits housing providers and maintains a housing data bank/registry of housing providers.
- Provides crisis support and intervention as required.
- Mentoring volunteers to assist with housing search and escorting of clients.
- Maintains program and statistical information in COSTI’s database and prepares reports.
- Conducts housing orientation sessions to ensure that client understands rights and responsibilities of tenants and landlords.
- Liaises and consults with other professionals and organizations.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support.
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience providing housing services within a Shelter setting.
- Demonstrated experience providing services to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence, people with mental health and or addiction.
- Must be fluent in English. Priority consideration will be given to those who speak Pashto and or Dari
- Previous case management experience.
- Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless and refugee populations and knowledge of the Toronto shelter system.
- Knowledge of settlement and housing related services and resources, with an emphasis on the services and resources that exist within the Greater Toronto Area.
- Experience assisting clients accessing Toronto Housing Allowance Program, Furniture Bank, and Subsidized housing.
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID -19
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the last 6 months.
- Must be able to travel within the GTA to multiple locations using public transportation. Access to a vehicle is considered an asset.
|Hwy 7 & Hwy 404
Duration of Position:
|October 5, 2021 to March 31, 2022
Starting Salary Range:
|$26.00 to $27.98 per hour
|Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Subject to the response of those on Notice of Recall, this position may be open to Union members on a secondment basis.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #169-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.