Career Opportunity at COSTI
Costi requires a general counsellors for its Shelter services.
Shelter Services provide short-term accommodation and support services for vulnerable populations experiencing homelessness including but not limited to families, refugees, women fleeing domestic violence and singles. COSTI’s shelters provide clients with a pet friendly dwelling.
This is a union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week. **
- Provides initial intake and needs assessments for families/ individuals experiencing homelessness.
- Provides supportive counselling, crises intervention and follow-up services.
- Works one on one with clients to develop a case plan and connect them to supports and services in the community.
- Provides information and referral for legal support, income support (OW), employment support, education, health services and harm reduction support.
- Delivers orientation sessions on shelter rules, and settlement related topics.
- Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers.
- Documents services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and SMIS (Shelter Management Information System) and prepares necessary reports.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support.
- Conducts room check to ensure safety and wellness of the clients.
- Administers first aid and naloxone if needed.
- Supports other operational activities to ensure smooth delivery of services.
- Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of twelve (12) months experience providing case management and counselling in shelters:
- Identifying needs through initial assessments and basic mental health assessments;
- Referrals to programs and education within COSTI and other social service organizations, such as training, income support, legal support, etc.;
- Emotional supportive counselling;
- Experience in harm reduction support, crises intervention and de-escalation of violence.
- Previous case management experience is a must.
- Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; domestic abuse, mental health (diagnoses and undiagnosed), addiction, and chronic homelessness (singles and families).
- Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless the population and refugees in general.
- Familiarity of Toronto Shelter Standards and how to implement when proving services.
- Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis.
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills. Speaking a second language will be considered an asset.
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
- Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate or equivalent is required.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within past 6 months.
- Must be fully vaccinated against COVID- 19
|Hwy 401 and Victoria Park, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|November 8, 2021 to December 31, 2021
Starting Salary Range:
|$27.62 to $29.73 per hour
|Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #180-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.