Career Opportunity at COSTI
COSTI REQUIRES GENERAL COUNSELLOR FOR ITS
This is a Union position scheduled to work 35 hours per week
• Provides initial intake and needs assessments for families/ individuals experiencing homelessness.
• Provides supportive counselling, crises intervention and follow-up services in special needs cases.
• Works one on one with clients to develop a case plan and connect them to supports and services in the community.
• Provides information and referral for legal support, income support (OW), employment support, education, health services etc.
• Delivers orientation sessions on shelter rules, and settlement related topics.
• Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers.
• Provides crisis intervention and counselling e.g. in cases of conflict.
• Documents services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and SMIS (Shelter Management Information System) and prepares necessary reports.
• Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional support.
• Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
• Minimum of twelve (12) months experience providing case management and counselling in shelters:
- Identifying needs through initial assessments and basic mental health assessments;
- Referrals to programs and education within COSTI and other social service organizations, such as language training, income support, legal support, etc.;
- Emotional supportive counselling;
- Experience in crises intervention and de-escalation of violence.
• Speaking a second language will be considered an asset.
• Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; wife and child abuse, mental health, addiction, and victims of torture, war and displacement.
• Previous case management experience.
• Knowledge of specific issues facing homeless population and resettled refugees in general.
• Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis.
• Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
• Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
• Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
• Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR training certificate is required.
• Possession of a valid Naloxone training certificate is required.
• Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within past 6 months.
|Hwy 401 and Victoria Park Ave, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|Starting January 20, 2021
Starting Salary Range:
|$49,285 to $53,045 per annum+ benefits
|Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall
If you are interested, please quote Reference #08-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.