Career Opportunity at COSTI
COSTI REQUIRES A GENERAL COUNSELLOR FOR ITS
CORVETTI EDUCATION CENTRE
This is a part-time Union position scheduled to work 30 hours per week**
- Provides intake and assessment of client needs, barriers and assets in the development of their settlement plan, particularly to refugees and newcomers.
- Through a Case Management service model, assists clients with information, referral, documentation, crisis intervention and supportive counselling services.
- Organizes and facilitates one on one and group orientation sessions to newcomers.
- Provides follow-up to clients.
- Advocates and promotes the programs and services of the agency.
- Liaises with government, community groups, educational institutions and volunteers regarding services for clients.
- Keeps administrative records of services and activities, prepares necessary reports and inputs data using COSTI CISv2 and ICARE databases.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience in providing settlement counselling.
- This includes: Assisting clients in identifying long and short-term goals and developing settlement plans for initial or post settlement needs.
- Conducting needs assessments, to address any of the following issues:
- Immigration (PR expiry, work permit), basic needs (food, shelter, banking), employment, Money and finances, childcare, housing (subsidy, Rent Bank),crisis intervention (child abuse, women & elder abuse), Income support (OW, ODSP, CPP, OAS), Education (high school, LINC, ESL, post-secondary).
- Organizing and facilitating orientation sessions to address any of the following topics:
- Initial and post settlement health needs e.g. OHIP, Canada’s food guide, Elder Abuse, finding a doctor;
- Financial issues e.g. income supports, fraud prevention, power of attorney
- Orientation to education, children services, recreation
- Housing options, tenant rights, subsidized housing
- Citizenship preparation,
- Must have previous experience in working with clients from China.
- Thorough knowledge of settlement issues facing refugees and new immigrants.
- Sensitive to the needs of newcomers and aware of the social and economic trends of immigrants.
- Experience in completing immigration and various government application forms
- Demonstrated experience organizing and facilitating orientation sessions.
- Must be able to speak one or more of the following languages: Somali, Amharic, Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Demonstrated experience with virtual platforms (Zoom, Google Meet, GoToMeetings)
- Strong customer service skills and demonstrated ability to liaise with community organizations.
- Experience in conducting various methods of outreach.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure of heavy caseload and deadlines.
- Sound knowledge of iCARE database, Internet, Email and MS Office in a Windows environment.
- Highly developed organizational skills, ability to multi-task and set priorities independently.
- Good written and oral communication skills in English is required.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within past 6 months.
|760 College Street, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|Starting February 1, 2021
Starting Salary Range:
|$39,758 to $42,790 per annum plus benefits
|Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
If you are interested, please quote Reference #09-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.