Career Opportunity at COSTI
COSTI REQUIRES A GENERAL COUNSELLOR FOR ITS
RALPH CHIODO FAMILY IMMIGRANT RECEPTION CENTRE
- Provides initial intake and needs assessments to Refugee Claimants that would include:
Ensuring Refugee Claimants understands the refugee claim process; obtain a refugee lawyer, access to Social Assistance, obtain temporary Social Insurance number, access health care system, and understands the Shelter Standards and works with refugee claimants on their short and long-term goal and understands.
- Provides supportive counselling as well as follow-up services in special needs cases.
- Works one on one with clients to ensure they are well informed about the refugee claimant process and receiving the entitled supports and services.
- Provides information and referral for legal support, income support (OW), work permit, language classes, health services etc.
- Provides Housing Support to Refugee Claimants.
- Advocates and case consults with other social service organizations and service providers.
- Provides crisis intervention as required e.g. in cases of family violence.
- Documents records of services and activities in COSTI’s data base system and prepares necessary reports.
- Refers clients to community & social service agencies for additional settlement and legal services.
- Social Services Worker diploma or equivalent with relevant practicum experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience providing initial settlement counselling. This includes:
- applying the Canada’s Refugee and Immigration Protection Act,
- processing Refugee Claims,
- accessing Social Services benefits,
- applying for Provincial and City Services for refugee claimants or asylum seekers
- providing emotional supportive counselling,
- advocating on behalf of refugee claimants in accessing government and non-government services and health care.
- Fluency in one of the languages considered an asset: Arabic, Amharic, Farsi, Somali, and French.
- Demonstrated experience providing services in the following areas; wife and child abuse, resettlement and victims of torture, war and displacement.
- Previous case management experience.
- Ability to negotiate and advocate with mainstream society and able to intervene during crisis.
- Demonstrated experience in data-entry, documentation and reporting.
- Knowledge of Internet, Email and Windows software e.g. Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent communication, organization and coordination skills.
- Possession of a current First Aid/CPR training certificate would be an asset.
|100 Lippincott Street, Toronto
Duration of Position:
|October 4, 2021, 2021 to December 17, 2021
Starting Salary Range:
|$27.62 to $29.73 per hour
|This is a part time Union-contract position scheduled to work 21 hours per week
Current incumbent is on Maternity Leave
If you are interested, please quote Reference #174-21
and send your resume with a covering letter to:
Manager, Staffing and Orientation
COSTI Immigrant Services
1710 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6E 3P2
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.