Career Opportunity at COSTI
LINC Team Lead Instructor
BE A PART OF A DYNAMIC AND DIVERSE ORGANIZATION AS
A LINC TEAM LEAD INSTRUCTOR TO TEACH CLB LEVEL 2/3 AT OUR NORTH YORK CENTRE
This is a union position scheduled to work 25 hours per week at
CLB level 2 to 3, Monday to Friday from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm
No classes during the following closure periods:
March 13, 2023 – March 17, 2023
DUTIES: PBLA LEAD (PBLA Team Lead training will be provided)
- Implement PBLA in own classroom.
- Draw on own implementation experience to provide PBLA training, guidance, mentoring and support to colleagues, program and students.
- Deliver workshops to colleagues related to PBLA implementation in their own classroom.
- Meet one-on-one with teachers to discuss PBLA-related topics (includes CLB, Task-based Instruction and Task-based Assessment) strategies/activities.
- Facilitate small group, informal discussions among instructors. Shares practices and strategizes solutions to issues raised.
- Observe teachers and provides feedback and/or suggestions as a peer/colleague.
- Take over a teacher’s class to free the teacher to undertake task-based language where necessary.
- Team-teach and carry out demonstration lessons where necessary.
- Communicate with program manager to ensure effective co-ordination of the project, progress, implementation and any needs or concerns.
- Participate in meetings with other TLs as necessary.
DUTIES: LINC INSTRUCTOR
- Design, implement, and instruct English as a Second Language classes in a LINC program based on the PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) guidelines.
- Design PBLA based module plans as well as daily lesson plans following the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Develop a diversity of course materials that are based on the Curriculum Guidelines in a task-based program for CLBs 2/3.
- Conduct on-going needs assessments with learners, assist them to set learning goals and develop lessons accordingly.
- Design assessment tasks for on-going evaluation of learners’ progress based on the Canadian Language Benchmarks and PBLA guidelines.
- Assist learners in organizing and updating the PBLA Language Companions (learner portfolios) as evidence of their learning progress.
- Prepare learners’ conference summary and progress reports. Conduct one-on-one interviews with learners to provide feedback on learning progress.
- Provide computer-assisted instruction using language learning software and MS Office programs.
- Integrate online resources and delivery tools such as Avenue.ca in language instruction.
- Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required.
- Organize special events to enhance learners’ participation and cultural experience.
- Assist in outreach activities to recruit LINC clients as required.
- TESL ON certificate from an accredited institution recognized by TESL Ontario.
- Completion of PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) training with a minimum of 32 weeks using PBLA in the classroom.
- Minimum 3 years of experience teaching English as a Second Language to adult newcomers.
- Demonstrated experience in providing train the trainer support, e.g. PD workshops, team lead, etc.
- Preference will be given to candidates with experience teaching CLBs 2-3.
- In depth understanding of and experience using the Revised Canadian Language Benchmarks 2012 and the LINC Curriculum Guidelines.
- Experience integrating technology and online resources in lesson delivery.
- Completion of Avenue Stage 2 training.
- Experience providing online training using an Online Learning Management System
such as Moodle.
- Experience providing adult instruction using software associated with the LINC Program (e.g., Ellii, Avenue) as well as Microsoft Word, Excel email and the Internet.
- Ability to adapt teaching methodology to the needs/skill levels of individual learners.
- Excellent English communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs of adult immigrants and refugees.
- Ability to work independently with excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
Note: Successful incumbent must complete online PBLA and LearnIT2Teach Stage 2 training within 3 months when training becomes available.
|North York, Sheridan Mall
Duration of Position:
|February 27, 2023
Starting Salary Range:
|$39.39 per hour
|This position requires the incumbent to deliver PBLA (Portfolio Based Language Assessment) training to LINC instructors at the Centre while also providing LINC instruction to language learners
Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Priority consideration will be given to union members.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #41-23 to the below link:
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.