Career Opportunity at COSTI
Shelter Support Person
BE A PART OF A DYNAMIC AND DIVERSE ORGANIZATION AS A
SHELTER SUPPORT PERSON FOR OUR HOSTEL SERVICES PROGRAM
This is a non-union contract position scheduled to work 35 hours per week, morning shift
(7:00 am – 3:00 pm), mix of weekdays and weekend days
- Complete admissions and intakes of new arrivals.
- Ensures house rules are observed.
- Supports the delivery of programs/orientation and services to the residents.
- Completes needed documentation on COSTI’s and funders database.
- Responsible for ensuring welcome packages, welcome files and admission files are ready and prepared regularly.
- Responsible for sorting and distributing mail, including contacting clients.
- Supports the smooth operation of the Centre, which includes responding to emergencies.
- De-escalates non-violent crises, e.g. client altercation, family conflicts.
- Conducts COVID screening for clients including supervising Rapid testing
- Conducts regular room checks and wellness checks.
- Provides emergency intervention in case of client illness and calls paramedics if required.
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the supervisor regarding any client concerns.
- Document services to clients and incident reports.
- Supports the general office duties such as answering telephones and responding to client issues.
- Provides interpretation services, as required.
- Communicates in a timely and professional manner with the hotel management regarding any client concerns.
- Community college diploma in community work/human services or equivalent.
- Minimum six (6) months fulltime work experience working in a shelters or respite setting.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Understanding of issues facing refugees and populations experiencing homelessness.
- Demonstrated experience responding to crises and providing supportive counselling.
- Preference will be given to those who speak a second language
- Experience working with refugees is an asset.
- Ability to work independently.
- Required to provide a valid Vulnerable Sector Screening (VSS) Police check. The VSS must have been completed within the past 6 months.
- Must have valid first aid/ CPR certificate.
- Must be fully vaccinated or be exempt from vaccination on human rights grounds. COSTI reserves the right to require information establishing the validity of the exemption.
|Hwy 401 and Victoria Park
Duration of Position:
|April 3, 2023 – September 29, 2023
Starting Salary Range:
|$21.89 - $23.56 per hour
|Priority consideration will be given to those on Notice of Recall.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters as one file quoting reference #66-23 to the below link:
"We thank all applicants for their interest in COSTI. However, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please."
COSTI encourages applications from individuals reflecting the diversity of our community. COSTI is committed to fair and accessible employment practices and when requested, will make reasonable effort to accommodate people with disabilities during the recruitment and assessment processes when filling positions.