COVID-19: SERVICE NOTICE TO OUR CLIENTS AND INDIVIDUALS IN NEED OF ASSISTANCE
During these difficult and uncertain times, COSTI has had to close its physical locations for the safety of its clients and employees. Effective March 25, 2020, COSTI offices are closed, with the exception of our refugee shelters.
We want to assure our clients that all our staff are available to serve you. You can connect with them via phone, video-conferencing, or email. You can also participate in some of the online workshops and webinars we are already offering. We are working hard to develop additional online resources for you.
Our staff will be checking in with you over the next few days to make sure you are okay and to provide help wherever we can.
If you are currently receiving services from COSTI, or have a scheduled appointment or meeting at one of our locations, you will be contacted by a COSTI employee, to confirm whether the appointment or meeting will take place via telephone or virtually.
To make an appointment or speak to someone urgently, please call the telephone number listed below each service. Our staff will put you in contact with an employee who is best suited to address your concern. You can also get in touch by email.
COSTI Employment Services offers one-on-one counselling, online workshops and webinars for adults and youth. All of our services are available at no cost and include:
- Resume and Cover Letter Development
- Understanding What Employers are Looking For
- Preparing for Interviews (Telephone and Video Interviews)
- Current Labour Market Information & Job Search Strategies
- Trades and Apprenticeship Workshops & Virtual Resource Library
Skills Development Courses (Certificate Programs)
- Customer Service
- Employment Strategies for Office Administration
- Starting Your Own Business
- Employment Strategies for Accounting
- Learn about the Application Process for Second Career
- How to Apply for Federal Internship for Newcomers (FIN)
- How to Particiapte in the TRIEC Mentoring Program
- Preparing for an Interview
- Job Searching Online
Additional Employment Services Available for Youth
We are registering new clients for all of the following Youth Employment Programs. Call the number listed above, or email TorontoEmployment@costi.org.
- Youth Job Connection: Available to youth who are unemployed, or not currently enrolled in school or training, are between the ages of 15 and 29, and experiencing difficulty in finding or keeping a job.
- Youth Job Connection - Summer: Eligible participants must be between the ages of 15 and 18, enrolled in full-time education or training, and experiencing challenges in finding or keeping a job.
netWORKS: This program is a new way to make connections with mentors who can help youth get their career off the ground. It's ideal for young adults between the ages of 18 and 29 who are out of school. Interested? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and find out how participants can:
- Meet new career role models and expand their professional network
- Build confidence and get real-world advice about how to find a job
- Get information about the corporate work environment
- Get constructive feedback about career ideas and job search
COSTI pre-screens applicants to the employer’s specifications; schedules interviews; develops custom training plans and works with employers to understand the unique business needs of small and large companies. If you are currently hiring, please take a moment to view the services available to you:
- Canada-Ontario Job Grant
- Hire an Apprentice & Build Your Business!
- The TRIEC Mentoring Partnership
When calling or leaving a message, please let us know whether you live in Peel Region, Toronto, or York Region.
We invite you to access our online webinars, workshops and e-resource centre by clicking here. New workshops are being added to accommodate the cancellation of some in-person services.
- Service assessment and intake to help us understand what supports you need
- Supportive counselling
- Crisis intervention
- Referrals to shelter services for shelter, food banks
- Assisting with market rent housing search
- Help with online applications for subsidized housing
- Eviction prevention service
- Assistance with Rent Bank applications
- Assistance with Low Energy Assistance Program (LEAP) , Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP) applications
INDIVIDUAL AND FAMILY COUNSELLING
MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES
Our Social Workers are available to help you and your family:
- Individual Counselling: marital, family, mental health
- Crisis intervention
- Information and referrals to other community and mental health institutional resources such as hospitals, addiction facilities, etc.
- Confidential counselling and safety planning for women who are experiencing domestic violence or intimate partner abuse; information and referrals to shelters or legal services
LANGUAGE AND SKILLS TRAINING SERVICES IN PEEL REGION, TORONTO, YORK REGION
Call the number above to speak with a COSTI employee about connecting and participating in our LINC (Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada) classes, ELT (Enhanced Language Training) program, or computer training courses.
LINC and ELT in Newmarket and York Region
Welcome Centre Immigrant Services
The Welcome Centre Communication Centre is available to answer and transfer telephone calls, book appointments and provide information and updates on all programs and services offered in the Welcome Centres. In addition, the centre is responding to voice mail and e-mail messages.
REFUGEE AND HOSTEL SERVICES
COSTI’s Ralph Chiodo Family Immigrant Reception Centre and our Hostel Services continue to serve clients in-person. Our Client Support Services and Mental Health Services staff will be connecting with clients and providing assistance.
416-244-0480 – North York and Surrounding Area
416-534-7400 – Downtown Toronto and Surrounding Area
COSTI’s Settlement Services play a critical role in helping newcomers and immigrants overcome the barriers they face in re-establishing their lives. If you need assistance in accessing services or need supportive counselling, please contact us. Our staff are ready to help.
- Service assessment and intake to identify your needs
- Supportive counselling
- Information and guidance on settlement related issues
- Information and referral to community programs regarding housing services; mental health services; services for seniors; English language instruction; employment services; skills training programs; foreign credential assessment services and finding legal advice
- Referral to government websites
- Guidance on completion of forms such as Employment Insurance, pension, citizenship, work permits and sponsorship
Your support and trust in our services during this difficult time is greatly appreciated.
More information on Coronavirus (COVID-19) here
The Ontario Ministry of Health has developed an information sheet about the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19) to inform Ontarians about the virus, how they can protect themselves and what to do if they think they have contracted the 2019 novel coronavirus. The information sheet is available in multiple languages: https://www.ontario.ca/page/2019-novel-coronavirus#section-15
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please contact:
- Telehealth Ontario at (1-866-797-0000) – available 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- Your primary care provider/family doctor
- Your local public health unit