Women's Employment and Life Skills (WELS)
COSTI's Women’s Employment and Life Skills program provides immigrant women who face barriers with Canadian labour market information, employment coaching, business English, pre-employment preparation, life skills training and online learning - communication in the work place. Through a series of thirty workshops, participants develop the skills and confidence to better enable them to increase their employability and achieve their individual goals.
- Referral to subsequent supportive employment services including mentorship, bridging programs, and resource centres
- Canadian workplace culture, Idioms, implied meaning miscommunication, professional standards, memo, email communication, telephone skills, formal and informal writing
- Labour Market Information, resume writing, interview skills, employee rights, workplace harassment, job maintenance, mentorship, entrepreneurship, career exploration, networking, social media and Linked-in employment profile
Life Skills Training
- Self Esteem, Financial Literacy, Canadian Workplace etiquette, Conflict Resolution, Stress Management, Assertiveness Training, and Personality Profile
Pronunciation and Clarity
- Phonetic pronunciation, stress, rhythm, syllables and pauses, intonation-the rising, falling of voice pitch across phrases and sentences
Online Learning - Communication in the Work Place:
- Understanding the Communication
- Process Communicating at Work
- How and Why We Communicate
- Performance Appraisals
- Non-Verbal Communication
- Team Work and Written Word
- Meetings and Teams
- Dressing the Part
- Creating Great First Impressions
Who is Eligible
Services are available to immigrant women who are permanent residents, conventional refugees, or refugee claimants with a valid one-year work permit. Individuals must be able to communicate at an advanced level of English and have basic computer skills in Word.
This is a 3-week program, from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm (Monday - Friday).Please see below for program locations.
This Program is Located at:
Welcome Centre Immigrant Services, 9100 Jane Street, Building H, Unit 56-67
There is no fee for this service.
COSTI's Women's Employment and Life Skills Program is funded by the United Way Greater Toronto.