Violence Against Women
COSTI Family and Mental Health Services Centre offers confidential and culturally competent Italian and English one-on-one supportive and crisis counselling and a support group for women experiencing abuse. The Centre also offers one-on-one counselling to children who have witnessed or experienced abuse.
- One-on-one supportive and crisis counselling to Italian women and children
- Safety planning
- Referrals to community supports and resources
- Legal aid clinics with Italian speaking lawyers
- Referrals to shelters and housing programs
- Educational and support groups for women experiencing abuse
- Telephone counselling
- Transitional support worker
Staff at this location speak English and Italian. COSTI Immigrant Services provides individual, crisis and group counselling for woman experiencing abuse in Italian and Spanish.
If you require services in French please contact: Oasis Centre des femmes C.P. 46085 College Park Toronto, ON M5G 2P6 Support Line 24 hours/24 - 7 days/7 Toll Free +1.877.femaide (336.2433) TTY 1.866.860.7082 or visit the website at Oasis Centre des femmes .
L’organisme COSTI Immigrant Services (Services COSTI aux immigrants) procure des conseils, en italien et en espagnol, aux femmes victimes de violence, sous forme de consultation individuelle ou collective, ou de consultation d’urgence. Si vous avez besoin de services en français, veuillez communiquer avec le centre suivant : Oasis Centre des femmes C.P. 46085 College Park Toronto, Ont. M5G 2P6 Ligne d’aide 24 heures/24 7 jours/7 Sans frais +1 877.femaide (336.2433) ATS +1.866.860.7082 ou visiter le site Web à : Oasis Centre des femmes
Who is Eligible
Services are available to all Italian Canadian women and children residing in the Greater Toronto area and York Region.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 8:30 am to 4:30 pm Wednesday: 8:30 am to 9:00 pm
Services are also available at COSTI's Vaughan Centre. Please call 416.244.0480 to book an appointment in Vaughan.
This Program is Located at:
Family and Mental Health Services
Fees are on a sliding scale and no one is turned away due to an inability to pay.
COSTI's Violence Against Women program is funded by the Ministry of Community and Social Services.
View Workshop Calendars
Books on Domestic Violence, Trauma and Sexual Assault
- Your Surviving Spirit: A spiritual workbook with trauma, by Dusty Miller.
- A Woman Like You: The face of domestic violence. (1997) Seal Press.
- Surviving Domestic Violence: Voices of women who broke free. (1999) Elaine Weiss.
- Learning to Leave: A woman's guide. (1993) Richard Peacock, Lynette Triera.
- Dangerous Relationships: How to stop domestic violence before it stops you. (1997) Noelle Nelson.
- Breaking Free from Partner Abuse: Voices of Battered Women Caught in the Cycles of Domestic Violence. (1999) Mary Marecek.
- Breaking the Cycle: A parenting guide for single mothers of children who have witnessed domestic violence. (1997) Angela Henderson, Janet Eriksen, Margot Davisson & Sarah Odgen.
- I Can’t Get Over It: A handbook for trauma survivors. (1992) Matsakis R.
When You Need Support – Numbers to Call
Does Your Partner Ever:
- Scare you in any way?
- Call you names?
- Repeatedly make you late for or miss work?
- Force you to have sex?
- Not allow you to visit your friends or family?
- Threaten to take away or hurt your children?
- Check-up on you while you’re at work?
- Hit, slap, push or hurt you?
The Assaulted Women’s Help Line: 416.863.0511
Women’s Habitat of Etobicoke Shelter: 416.252.5829
Yellow Brick House: 905.727.1944
Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic: 416.323.9762
Multilingual Community Interpreter Services: 416.426.7051
The first thing to remember, for all emergency situations that require an immediate response, call the police emergency number — 9-1-1.