Donate toggle menu
Elderly Persons' Centre

Notice: Undefined variable: img in /home/costior1/public_html/inc_banners.php on line 152

Elderly Persons' Centre

COSTI’s Elderly Persons’ Centre is a Drop-In program designed to reduce isolation and loneliness experienced by seniors. By offering educational, physical, recreational and social activities, seniors are encouraged to become more independent and contribute productively to society.

Services Available

  • Individual supportive counselling
  • General information and referrals
  • Educational workshops related to aging such as health and safety, financial issues, etc
  • English conversation circle
  • Fun and Fitness program
  • Cultural outings and field trips
  • Arts and crafts
  • Variety of social events

Staff at this location speak English and Italian.

Who is Eligible

The services offered support the total well being of all those aged 55 and over, residing in North York, who do not require nursing and paramedical care. The program targets Italian speaking seniors in particular.

Program Intake

Monday – Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm

This Program is Located at:

North York Centre
Sheridan Mall, 1700 Wilson Avenue, Suite 114
Toronto, ON M3L 1B2. PO Box 88
Phone: 416.244.0480 |

There is an annual membership fee of $25.00 is associated with this program.

COSTI's Elderly Persons' Centre is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Seniors Affairs through the Elderly Persons' Centres program.

Related Resources

View Workshop Calendars

I suspect my elderly neighbour is being abused by his family. What should I do to help him?

The problem of abuse of older adults threatens a growing number of Canadians.
Abuse can be physical, sexual, emotional, financial, neglect or violation or rights.

If you see actual abuse, or someone tells you that they are being abused, listen carefully and reassure the person that it is not their fault and let them know that there is help available.

If you know someone who is experiencing elder abuse, please call the Victim Support Line in Toronto at (416) 314-2447 or toll-free at 1-888-579-2788. For any emergency situation, call 911.

I am 58 years old and my husband died two months ago. Am I entitled to any benefits?

You may qualify for the Canada Pension Plan survivor benefits. These are paid to the deceased person’s surviving spouse or common-law partner and dependent children.

There are three types of benefits:

  • The death benefit is a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor.

  • The survivor's pension is a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor.

  • The children's benefit is a monthly benefit for dependent children of a deceased contributor who are the ages of 18 and 25 and in full-time attendance at a school or university.
The amount of the death benefit depends on how much, and for how long, your spouse paid into the Canada Pension Plan.

It is important to apply for Canada Pension Plan benefits as soon as possible. If you do not apply, you may lose benefits you are entitled to receive.

For more information or to obtain an application form, contact the COSTI North York Centre at 416.244.0480.

I am a 67 year old senior and have been in Canada for four years. Can I apply for the Old Age Pension?

To qualify for the Old Age Security Pension you must be 65 years of age or older and must be Canadian Citizens or legal residents of Canada. In addition, you must have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after the age of 18. To qualify for the full pension, you must have resided in Canada for periods totaling at least 40 years after age 18. Periods of residence or contributions made in a country with which Canada has a social service agreement may be used to meet the residence requirement for eligibility.

A person, who cannot meet the requirements for the full OAS pension, may qualify for a partial pension or may qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement if they have little or no other income.

To determine the amount for which you may be eligible, it is best to contact the Department of Human Resources and Social Development at 1.800.277-9914.

Arranging For Homecare

Home and community support services include visiting health professional services, personal care and support, homemaking, and community supports.

Several Community Care Access Centres located across Ontario provide case management and assist clients to arrange for services that best meet their needs.

To find a Community Care Access Centre in your community, call 416-314-5518, or visit the Ontario Ministry of Health website

For information about the Ontario Homecare Association, visit