Donate toggle menu
Encuentro Latino

Encuentro Latino

COSTI’s Encuentro Latino, is a weekly encounter group for Spanish-speaking seniors. Seniors receive information, orientation and peer support on various issues affecting their lives as older adults and newcomers. The goal of the group for Spanish speaking seniors is to reduce isolation and to provide a supportive environment where seniors can discuss issues affecting their lives and share common experiences and solutions.

Services Available

Weekly group sessions on various topics include: health issues affecting older adults; social activities; experiences of the elderly as immigrants; safety; and community and government resources for seniors.

Services are available in English and Spanish.

Who is Eligible

Encuentro Latino is open to any Spanish speaking senior 55 years and older residing in Toronto who does not require nursing or paramedical care.

Program Intake

Tuesday: 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm

1700 Wilson Avenue, Suite 114

This Program is Located at:

North York Centre
Sheridan Mall, 1700 Wilson Avenue, Suite 114
Toronto, ON M3L 1B2. PO Box 88
Phone: 416.244.0480 |

This service is free of charge.

COSTI's Encuentro Latino group is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration

Related Resources

View Workshop Calendars

I am 58 years old and my husband died two months ago. Am I entitled to any benefits?

You may qualify for the Canada Pension Plan survivor benefits. These are paid to the deceased person’s surviving spouse or common-law partner and dependent children.

There are three types of benefits:

  • The death benefit is a one-time payment to, or on behalf of, the estate of a deceased Canada Pension Plan contributor.

  • The survivor's pension is a monthly pension paid to the surviving spouse or common-law partner of a deceased contributor.

  • The children's benefit is a monthly benefit for dependent children of a deceased contributor who are the ages of 18 and 25 and in full-time attendance at a school or university.
The amount of the death benefit depends on how much, and for how long, your spouse paid into the Canada Pension Plan.

It is important to apply for Canada Pension Plan benefits as soon as possible. If you do not apply, you may lose benefits you are entitled to receive.

For more information or to obtain an application form, contact the COSTI North York Centre at 416.244.0480.

I suspect my elderly neighbour is being abused by his family. What should I do to help him?

The problem of abuse of older adults threatens a growing number of Canadians.
Abuse can be physical, sexual, emotional, financial, neglect or violation or rights.

If you see actual abuse, or someone tells you that they are being abused, listen carefully and reassure the person that it is not their fault and let them know that there is help available.

If you know someone who is experiencing elder abuse, please call the Victim Support Line in Toronto at (416) 314-2447 or toll-free at 1-888-579-2788. For any emergency situation, call 911.

I am a 67 year old senior and have been in Canada for four years. Can I apply for the Old Age Pension?

To qualify for the Old Age Security Pension you must be 65 years of age or older and must be Canadian Citizens or legal residents of Canada. In addition, you must have resided in Canada for at least 10 years after the age of 18. To qualify for the full pension, you must have resided in Canada for periods totaling at least 40 years after age 18. Periods of residence or contributions made in a country with which Canada has a social service agreement may be used to meet the residence requirement for eligibility.

A person, who cannot meet the requirements for the full OAS pension, may qualify for a partial pension or may qualify for the Guaranteed Income Supplement if they have little or no other income.

To determine the amount for which you may be eligible, it is best to contact the Department of Human Resources and Social Development at 1.800.277-9914.

Arranging For Homecare

Home and community support services include visiting health professional services, personal care and support, homemaking, and community supports.

Several Community Care Access Centres located across Ontario provide case management and assist clients to arrange for services that best meet their needs.

To find a Community Care Access Centre in your community, call 416-314-5518, or visit the Ontario Ministry of Health website

For information about the Ontario Homecare Association, visit